Aug 12, 2010

Catherine O' Donnell's Venice Residency

a snap from Cathy's Venice residency, 2010

Fine Arts teacher Catherine O'Donnell has recently returned from an inspiring artist residency in Venice. As part of winning the Albury Art Prize in 2009, Catherine was awarded apartment accommodation and a studio in Venice at the Scuola International Grafica, as well as a generous travel bursary.

"My trip was amazing not only as I was staying in one of the most unique places in the world, but I had time to explore, experiment and reflect on my art practice" Catherine said recently.
" At the same time, I was exposed to the rich cultural heritage of the art and architecture found in Venice. The opportunity to walk in the footsteps of the Renaissance masters, and be immersed in the culture was an extraordinary experience. At Scuola International di Grafica I mixed with artists and scholars from other countries as well as the broader community. The people I had the opportunity to meet enriched my experience greatly."

As well as the apartment, Catherine had a studio which she visited daily, and also took numerous side trips including visits to the best Museums and Galleries in Europe and New York City.
" For all of this I have to thank the Albury Regional Gallery, who sponsored my trip" Catherine said.
"Their generosity has enabled me to grow on a personal and artistic level, a growth which can only come about as a result of the time and space a residency can provide."

Catherine highly recommends an overseas residency, and we look forward to seeing the body of this work that will surely come from this fantastic experience.

view of the studio space in Venice provided by the residency

No comments:

Post a Comment